Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New Developments

My belly button is stretched out already. I must say that I was surprised to find my belly button looking misshapen and shallower than usual the other day. I think I am “popping out” a little sooner than most women. The second trimester has also brought on shortness of breath and round ligament pain. Last night I laid awake for almost two hours due to the discomfort. Aren’t sleeping troubles supposed to wait until the third trimester? God must know I need plenty of evidence that I really am pregnant. Believing is feeling in my case. Although, I did get to hear the heartbeat again at yesterday’s appointment and that was much more reassuring than discomfort. The discomfort actually makes me quite paranoid, but the doctor assured me that all my perceived abnormalities are normal. I’ve definitely reached the point of looking pregnant. Today a co-worker asked. She probably wouldn’t have had the courage to ask unless she was pretty sure by the look of me.

I’ve been “window shopping” for baby things on craigslist. At least that’s what I’ve been telling myself. However, I have already purchased three things—a booster seat/high chair, a changing table and a car seat. Of course, they were such good deals, I couldn’t pass them up. They also met my criteria for un-ugly baby stuff. There are so many gaudy baby items on the market, and I think its evidence of a child totally taking over a household when parents choose to let such tasteless things enter their homes. So, my goal is to avoid such junk. The highchair is a light oak wood, the changing table is grey and the car seat is black and grey. I know, it is very early to be stocking up on baby gear. I just can’t contain my enthusiasm. I’m also interested in hand making items for our baby, which will take time. I probably need to focus more on those projects and less on shopping.

D said that he is interested in making things for baby too. He recently bought a used scroll saw and other woodworking tools. He would make lovely toys, so I hope he finds the time. He is currently trying to re-organize his garage and making it a better workspace. Good timing too because the weather is now just getting nice enough that he can be out there without melting. I wish I could be of more help to him.

We enjoyed a picnic on Sunday at a park next to church. It had been ages since we just packed a lunch and found a nice spot to eat. We stopped for gelati on the way home. This time of year they serve pumpkin pie Italian ice, one of our favorites! Gelati is layers of Italian ice and vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I’m getting hungry just writing this! I’ve been craving sweets today anyway.

They say craving sweets over salty or sour foods is an indication you’re carrying a girl. I don’t believe in wives tales, but my intuition says we’re having a girl too. The other night I dreamt we had twin girls. No chance of that happening because the doctor has verified only one, but he did scare me yesterday when he jokingly said he heard a second heartbeat. He laughed, and said he just likes to raise mom’s heart rate with that joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment