Tuesday, March 2, 2010

D said he would write...

So I guess I really don't have to write.  But since he may not be able to put his thoughts down for a few more days, I'll write anyway.  You're probably wondering about my interview if you haven't spoken with me since Thursday.  The interview went well.  I think I presented myself as capable and competent, and hopefully proved that I'm the woman for the job.  The company is a small one and would afford me a lot more independent thinking than in my current situation.  I would even sort of be in a leadership position as there are times when a member of management would not be in house and I would be in charge of the staff.  The company works with debt management, helping people get out of debt through various avenues.  My exposure to this industry had mainly been through tv commercials and I had the feeling that most are trying to rip off people who are already in a financially challenging position.  The company I interviewed with seems refreshingly ethical.  I understood that their customer care and honesty are crucial parts of their competitve advantage.  So far the only thing I am not enthusiastic about are some evening work hours.  This would cut into my time at home with D.  However, considering the alternative, staying with my current job, we have agreed that the schedule changes would be OK.  Perhaps it would be a better change than we anticipate.  All of this is just information at this point though, not reality.  I have not received an offer and await a phone call from them.

Yesterday I reached four years at my current job.  I honestly can't believe I stayed this long.  D reminded me that my original goal was five years.  Yes, that's true, but overly optimistic in retro-spect.

D and I met for lunch yesterday at a Christian organization that helps people find jobs and runs a food pantry.  Our church anticipates solidifying a partnership with them and the deacons would be involved in crucial decisions.  I got to enjoy the "come and see" lunch too because I'm married to a deacon and curious.  I actually drive by the agency every day on my way to work.  It was great to see an efficiently-run ministry that is effectively handling the needs of the community.  It made me wish I could do more.  D agreed that it would be advantageous to increase our church's involvement with this stand-up organization.  One thing that was really cool was the ministry's Christmas/Birthday room.  The single-car garage size room was filled with toys from floor to ceiling and this was all their "leftovers" from the holiday season.  It was cool to stand in a room of such generosity and hear stories of moms and dads who have been blessed to select gifts for their children from this room.

No comments:

Post a Comment